We offer a wide range of benefits to our employees, these include:
- Generous annual leave entitlement starting at 28 days annual leave per year, 29 days for senior managers (pro rata, depending on how many hours per week you work), plus bank holidays. An additional 5 days, linked to continuous service, and ability to purchase up to 6 weeks additional leave per year.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Local Government Pension Scheme plus immediate life cover (3 times your annual salary from day one) and ill-health protection.
- Employee discounts with local and national retailers, days out, finance, health and beauty, travel and eating out plus lots more.
- Car Lease scheme
- Payment of professional subscription / membership – If your job description requires that you are registered with or are a member of a professional body, WNC will pay for your professional subscription or membership fees.
- Employee Assistance Programme – We have an employee support programme run by Health Assured, an independent, external organisation. Health Assured is available for you and your immediate family members, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and includes telephone counselling, legal advice, bereavement support and medical information.
- Ongoing training and development opportunities.
- A variety of flexible working options to support your work/life balance, including full or part time, term time, 9-day fortnight, etc. (subject to business needs).
- Our West Ways of Working – We want our workforce to thrive, and we equip our employees with the right technology to support hybrid and collaborative working, on or off site, depending on the role.
- Making a difference – If you want to use your skills and experience with an organisation that are genuinely invested in making a difference, are committed to improving people’s lives, and whose success has a direct impact on the wellbeing of your family, friends and people in your local area, then West Northamptonshire Council is the place for you.
About the role
Waste Services contributes directly to the delivery of the Council’s priorities, particularly Green and Clean, Environmental and Wellbeing and Robust Resource Management.
It is a high profile, essential service, used by all of West Northamptonshire’s residents providing kerbside waste collection services, five Household Waste Recycling Centres, a Reuse and Recycling Centre and street cleansing operations, with specific statutory duties including making the arrangements for the treatment and disposal of waste that is collected. Waste services are delivered through a combination of in-house, joint venture and contractual arrangements.
The purpose of the job is to assist the council’s Waste Reduction and Recycling Officer to monitor, advise, promote and give guidance on waste minimisation and recycling matters, in particular working with residents, community groups, schools and local businesses across West Northamptonshire.
What will you be doing?
Your role will be to encourage residents to reduce their waste and maximise the amount of waste they recycle. You will also play a part in ensuring that reliable, high quality and cost-effective waste services are provided for our residents and customers.
Working closely with the division’s communication partners, you will develop high quality information and publicity materials to educate, engage and inform residents on recycling, waste collection and street cleansing services. You will positively promote waste reduction and recycling with the media, households, schools, local environmental and other associated bodies. You will also actively liaise with local businesses, community groups and town/parish councils to identify waste reduction and recycling opportunities to offer support and advice.
Identifying and biding for external funding opportunities, as and when they arise is also an important element of this role.
You will also be required to investigate and resolve complaints and enquiries from members of the public, speaking with authority and conviction and contribute to delivering rising customer satisfaction levels in all aspects of the service.
In conjunction with the Waste Reduction and Recycling Officer you will plan and deliver a programme of roadshows, events and other waste reduction and recycling campaigns to speak to members of the public and other stakeholders directly.
From time to time, when funds allow you will assist with the recruitment and management of temporary staff to help deliver recycling campaigns such as door stepping campaigns, to include volunteers, students and the Community Payback team.
We expect to hold interviews for this role on Monday 16th October.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent in related subject or equivalent and relevant work experience and hold a full driving licence. Experience of dealing with waste and recycling issues in a similar environment is essential as is experience of publicity, marketing and PR.
We are looking for someone with experience of dealing with customers and engaging with householders and businesses and a knowledge of waste reduction, recycling and other waste management issues. Knowledge of publicity/marketing and PR including social media is also essential.
You will have good presentation and analytical skills with expertise in report writing, able to set out complex issues and build arguments. You will have excellent customer care skills with the ability to effectively deal with complaints and be assertive but diplomatic when dealing with all types of people on the phone, in writing and in person.
We are looking for good IT skills with Microsoft packages, someone who is organised, efficient and motivated and able to deal with problems in a logical manner.
You will need to be flexible and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends as required and we attend roadshows in all weathers!
Project management experience would be an advantage, as would CIWM membership, but not essential. Experience of working in a local authority waste and recycling environment is desirable as is knowledge of procurement processes and contract monitoring. Knowledge of waste management legislation would be an advantage.
We’re a new council, following one of the largest shake-ups in local government
reform in recent history. As a new authority, we’re embarking on an exciting journey
to deliver exceptional services for our residents, customers and
Our vision at West Northamptonshire Council is ‘to make West Northants a great
place to live, work, visit and thrive’. We truly stand by this and work hard every day to
make this a reality. Our corporate values, THRIVE, stand for: Trust, High Performance,
Respect, Innovate and Empower, they underpin everything we do and how we deliver
At West Northants Council, it’s about our people. People who thrive with
ambition, bubble with new ideas, demand better ways of working, caring about every detail,
and who never shy away from a challenge. Our culture is a gateway for new experiences. A
place to forge new opportunities. To empower you in your career and unite you with like-
When potential is unlocked, talent thrives.
Choose a career that offers you a true sense of achievement, fills you with pride and
challenges you in a positive way, every day.
West Northants Council, where careers thrive.