Tarmac is the UK’s leading sustainable building materials and construction solutions business. Our innovative products and solutions not only deliver the infrastructure needed to grow the UK economy today, but also help to create a more sustainable built environment for the country’s long-term future.
We’re looking for a Geologist or Senior Geologist to join our Land and Natural Resources Team. You’ll help ensure our mineral assets are identified; developed and managed responsibly for the benefit of our business, local people, biodiversity, and the communities in which we operate. You’ll play a key role in the long-term sustainability of our business and meeting the needs of the UK’s future infrastructure growth.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
In the role of Geologist you will be responsible for a number of tasks including:
- Working with the Head of Technical Services, Quarry Design and Geotechnical teams, to meet regional and national objectives in relation to mineral development
- Preparing optimised quarry designs, earthmoving schemes and phasing plans, including critical review of specialist consultant reports
- Engaging effectively with operational teams at quarry sites and managing a wide range of internal and external stakeholder relationships
- Working collaboratively and leading on the delivery of key projects and initiatives to realise business enhancements.
- Planning and undertaking, safe and effective exploratory fieldwork.
- Applying expert knowledge of geological principles to business, including compliance with geological and geotechnical policies and standards.
- Engaging with planning consents, relevant permits, and applications for mineral working
- Preparing and effectively communicating geological reports, plans and presentations to the business
- Seeking opportunities for best practice and enhancing the sustainable financial return from our mineral assets
- Engaging with the development of our data management and GIS systems and close collaboration with colleagues in Land and Natural Resources team.
As our ideal candidate for the role of Geologist you’ll require a number of key skills and qualifications, some of which will transferable and are beneficial in this role:
Geological degree or postgraduate degree [e.g., Geotechnical / Mining Engineering / Hydrogeology etc].
Working towards or having achieved relevant Chartered Status.
- Good understanding of geological setting and characteristics of aggregate supplies
- Knowledge of safety and geotechnical legislation in relation to quarry design and operation
- Appreciation of hydrology/hydrogeology for quarry design and operation
- Knowledge of mineral extraction and construction materials / products
- Knowledge of mineral reserve and resource estimation and international reporting codes
- Experience with LSS Software [or equivalent] and application to the modelling of quarry developments
- Good understanding of considerations for safe, effective, and optimised quarry design
In addition, you’ll be a skilled problem solver and be both able to and enjoy team working and working independently. It would also be advantageous to hold a driving licence.
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/39518/4429