Salary: £25,000 per annum
Shift hours: Full Time
This is an exciting opportunity to join the Activities Department at HMP Addiewell. As an Employability Instructor you would be teaching adults to learn and improve employability skills in preparation of their release. Additionally, you would be giving employment information, advice, and guidance these to residents. You will be creative in planning your teaching, using a variety of innovative and captivating resources whilst being able to deliver in an enthusiastic and inspirational manner. The successful candidate should aspire to provide stimulating and challenging experiences that will enable all learners to develop the skills, knowledge, and attitudes and values that will prepare them for life today and in the future.
Sodexo Justice Services is a custodial services company with a reputation for delivering high quality services through its philosophy that everyone can develop and make changes for the better. HMP Addiewell is a learning prison, with a strong and concerted focus on learning not to reoffend, relevant skills training and employability and we work with all areas of the wider community to ensure residents have the best possible chance of leading positive lives following their release.
The purposeful activities department caters for a wide range of educational and vocational needs for the 796 residents. The team focus on delivering courses designed to raise residents’ self-esteem and employability skills. Reporting to the purposeful activity team leader the roles would suit someone with extensive knowledge and experience in delivering various forms of education in a classroom setting. The role is diverse, thought-provoking and challenging/rewarding in equal measure.
- Deliver employability skills sessions to assist residents to develop work skills and make informed decisions about employment opportunities on their release.
- To create positive opportunities for those residents and promote benefits of achievement in employability skills.
- To liaise with prison staff and actively recruit new learners.
- To liaise with local employers and external agencies to provide positive opportunities for residents on their release.
- To provide a wide range of progressive and stimulating employability material to residents.
- To keep abreast of developments in relation to employability.
- To provide residents with a structured programme of tuition for class periods and self-study and practice ensuring that progress information is incorporated into resident records
- To prepare residents for exams or assessments where appropriate and encourage demonstrable learning outcomes.
- To utilise employment as means of focusing residents on alternative life choices to criminality.
- To contribute to the preparation of residents who wish to further their education post-release.
- Any other reasonable professional duties at the request of your Line manager.
Please see attached job description for further information regarding the role requirements.
- SCQF Level 7 in a teaching discipline (or equivalent) or achieve this within eighteen months of undertaking the role.
- Experience of teaching employability skills to adults across a range of abilities, including supporting students from deprived backgrounds.
- Experience of working with persons with a range of additional support needs across a range of ages and stages.
- Demonstrable experience of the SQA framework or of an Industry or Educational Standard.
- Excellent communication and IT skills.
- High level of organisational skills.
- Knowledge of relevant health and safety legislation
- Flexibility of work: 40hrs with occasional evening and / or weekend work
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure; think clearly and act decisively.
- Good personal organisation skills.
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Team Player.
Location: HMP Addiewell, 9 Station Road, Addiewell, West Lothian,, Scotland